Saint Cloud, MN Advice on Hiring a General Contractor: Working with a general contractor can be extremely rewarding, but like any other business it has its risks and pitfalls because of individuals that have less respect for themselves, homeowners and the industry we work in.
We’ve all heard horror stories about incompetent contractors—or worse, contractors who stole money from their clients. These types of stories just get my goat. In fact, I was shocked, embarrassed, and downright angry to find out that, according to the Better Business Bureau of MN/ND, complaints in 2013 against general contractors ranked #6 and construction and remodeling services complaints ranked #5 (up from #7 in 2011).
I always do the job right and treat my customers very well. That’s how my dad ran the business when he owned it, and that’s how he taught me to run it when I took over back in 2006. Because of this honest and fair approach, I operate a top-notch construction business in central MN. You see, Schoenberg Construction has been supplying contractor services since 1974. Since that time, we have devoted ourselves to supplying quality services in construction to central Minnesota and the Saint Cloud area.
There are a number of things we highly suggest you keep in mind when you’re getting ready to settle on a general contractor for your remodel project.
Before You Hire a Saint Cloud MN General Contractor
- Plan your project carefully so that you can make sound decisions and avoid overrunning your budget.
- Interview more than one contractor and solicit a written bid from the contractor that suits your needs the best. Remember, you are not looking for the lowest bid, rather you want to find the smartest bid. A smart bid delivers value, quality and a product that fits your budget and fulfills your construction dreams.
- Confirm that the general contractor you’re considering has a verifiable license.
- Ask each general contractor for references and contact info for those references. Interview all of the references to determine the quality of work (go and see it if you can.)
- Ask about the suppliers that the general contractor utilizes and check into their payment record. This speaks a lot about their credibility.
- Request a copy of an insurance certificate from the general contractor so you have a clear understanding of what is covered.
- Do a search online for reviews. Local sites like Google business listings hold spaces for customers to review a business. Google the business name and general contractor to dig up reviews and information.
- Discuss smaller aspects of the project such as clean up, waste removal, access in and out of the home, where the crews will get electricity, etc.
Understanding as much as possible before selecting a contractor will help you make the right decision about who is best for your project. Likewise, much of this information can alleviate miscommunication and frustrations that commonly occur over assumptions and a lack of information/direction between the contractor and the homeowner.
Once You’ve Chosen:
- Obtain a contract in writing that will include prices (including tax), terms of payment, fees for permits, the scope of work, a list of materials, warranties, start date and expected completion date of the project.
- Ensure that all permits are in place before any work begins and that inspections are being done to meet regulations.
- Be overly cautious about paying for work that has not been completed.
Be Cautious With Contractors Who:
- Give you credentials and/or references that cannot be verified through any means.
- Claim expertise but are only trying to capitalize on popular trends.
- Use any kind of high-pressure technique to push you into a sale, such as “a special discount you only get today”.
- Works only in cash and/or requires a large deposit in excess of 10% in order to start working for you.
- Won’t provide a written contract or a complete and accurate bid.
- Requests you to pick up building permits.
- Requests to work only on weekends or late in the evening hours.
We care about making a difference in the lives of the homeowners we work for, homeowners just like you. It’s a pressing goal of ours to ensure that every aspect of your project comes together seamlessly so that your home remodel is not only a perfect fit for your home and family but also a perfect fit for your budget! And of course, we ensure all of our work is safe for your family, too.
Schoenberg Construction is a family owned and operated business, and we consider our customers to be members of that family. If you found the material in this free report helpful and you’d like to know more about how a general contractor in Saint Cloud, MN can help you get your next home remodel project rolling then …
Craig at Schoenberg Construction is one of the best Home Remodeling Contractors in St Cloud and Central Minnesota. He always gives honest, fair bids with no lowball, fake pricing. And there’s no sales pressure, EVER! He never uses cheap materials and never engages in sloppy workmanship. Plus, his company is known as one of the top construction and remodeling companies in the Saint Cloud MN area because he always insists on doing every job exactly right.
Give him a call today at 320-252-0911 for your no-obligation consultation.
Why Work With Schoenberg Construction
What We Value
What We Do
- Specific, Accurate Pricing
- Highly Skilled Carpenters
- Reliable, Skilled, and Valued Subcontractors
- Top, Quality Materials
- Unbeatable Customer Service
What You Get
- 75+ Years of Combined Custom Construction Experience
- The Project of Your Dreams for the Price You Were Promised